Josh Carney, director
The Office of Information Technology (IT) was established as a means to consolidate and standardize Bedford County governments growing demand for technology and technological support services and to add cost efficiency to a rapidly increasing budget item.
The Office of Information Technology (IT) provides direction, planning, resources and coordination in the management of information systems needs for Bedford County Government. Our mission is to provide continually improving information resources and services in partnership with County Departments.
The duties and responsibilities of this office include the following:
- Formulation and maintenance of an ongoing information systems planning process.
- Establish and maintain a network infrastructure to support a county-wide network.
- Coordinate and maintain a viable vendor network as well as multiple vendor activities.
- County disaster recovery planning.
- Assurance of electronic access to public information by the public.
- Plan, purchase, install, maintain and operate various hardware and software components of the county’s computer networks when cost-effective.
- Management of the county-wide municipal area network, delivering both high speed internet data and VOIP to multiple departments and remote sites.
- Maintain endpoint security for all network devices.
- Planning, coordination and oversight of electronic security technology and systems.
- Provide technology training and support to county employees.
- Stay informed regarding technological progress and its impact on our county government.
- Oversight and maintenance of a geographic information system, leveraging our existing technology and data collected from various departments for use county-wide.
- Implementation, oversight and maintenance of county-wide electronic document and records management systems development.
- Coordinate technological acquisitions and maintenance agreements.
- To act as a conduit for open communications with and between all county departments.
The primary areas of focus for the Information Technology Department include:
- Network Administration
- Information Security
- Systems Integration
- Employee Support & Training
- Mapping & Geospatial Systems
- Spatial Data Management