Curt M. Cobb, Clerk & Master, serves as the Clerk for these courts in Bedford County TN. In addition:
- Performing all clerical functions of both courts
- Hears opening petitions, takes proof, and issues letters of testamentary for probate matters
- Adjudicates matters such as, but not limited to, divorces, adoptions, probate, debt/contracts, real estate matters, estates, guardianships, and conservatorships.
- Files, maintains, and preserves all records
- Responsible for selling properties to satisfy tax judgments for delinquent property taxes (county and city) when ordered
The duties of a clerk are almost exclusively clerical; and this office's powers are strictly defined by law and the orders of the court. The clerk exercises no judicial functions and has but little discretion. The master, on the contrary, is a judicial officer and is clothes with many powers of the chancellor himself ("Gibson's Suits in Chancery, 5th Edition," Gibson 1955, Chapter LXVI, sec. 1222).
The Clerk & Master's office is prohibited from providing you with legal advice, which includes not being able to tell you what forms to file, how to fill them out, or how to proceed with your case. If you have these types of questions, please consult with an attorney, or utilize the free legal services listed on our site.
We recommend that you retain the services of an attorney. The same rules of court apply to a case whether it is filed by an attorney or by a person without legal training. Our accepting of documents does not imply that they are the correct form or that they are filled out properly.
Bedford County Clerk & Master's Office
108 North Creek - Suite 155
Shelbyville, Tennessee 37160
Fax: (931) 680-0144